Quick Review: Celebration of Discipline


I just finished Richard Foster's best known book 1978's Celebration of Discipline, which examines the inward disciplines of prayerfastingmeditation, and study in the Christian life, the outward disciplines of simplicitysolitudesubmission, and service, and the corporate disciplines of confessionworship, guidance, and celebration.

This book was great in that it appealed to my more traditionalist bent, but did so without much in the way of dogma. Foster takes the best from many different christian spiritual disciplines and puts them together to present what I would call a rule of life. In many ways it is a challenging read, in that it expects a lot from you. However, I tend to appreciate a religious book that doesn't pull punches. I got so much out of it that I have moved on to another of his books, Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home.